Winter Escape the Portuguese Way
- Fun-to-ride Enduro single tracks with a sea view, starting from the highest point of the Algarve on around 1,000 meters above sea level
- Ride from the top to the beach
- Scenic trails on the cliffs along the coast
- A Taste of portuguese culture and fine local cuisine after the ride, e.g. in the quaint old town of Lagos
- Pleasant daytime temperatures for riding in winter
- Impressive coastline with beautiful bays and beaches
- Serra de Monchique: Fine network of purpose built Enduro tracks starting on around 1,000 meters above sea level. Attention: Many of the tracks run through private properties and should only be accessed with a guide! Check for your guide below, prices are very fair and fun is guaranteed.
- São Brás de Alportel: Small but very fun network of Enduro tracks.
After the Ride
- Relax on one of the many beautiful beaches
- The old town of Lagos invites you for a stroll and stop in one of the many restaurants or bars
Algarve travel information
- Best time to travel: Most bikers come during the winter months for an escape from the mud and snow. In autumn the water is still warm enough for swimming, in spring the blossoming nature makes the ride more colorful. The summer is rather hot for biking.
- Flights: Faro airport is the third largest in Portugal and as a gateway to the Algarve offers many direct connections from all over Europe.
- Accommodation: Hotels of all classes, guest houses and apartments, camping, everything is possible. Recommended accommodations are requested from the organizer (see below).
Guide & Tour Operator
My recommended guide and operator for the Algarve: Jim of themountainbikeadventure.com offers you shuttles, guiding, skill training and originalBritish humor! He has been in the Algarve for around 15 years and has invested thousands of hours of manual labor in trail building. You will also get nice pictures of the guided rides as a goodie.
The pictures in this post where taken during a ride with themountainbikeadventure.com